Hi Felix,

You can launch any Eclipse plugin from its plugin.xml file,  "Overview" tab, by selecting "Testing" > "Launch an Eclipse Application".
This action will bundle all open projects inside a new instance of Eclipse and launch it.

The case of the RCP application is different.
It's been a long time since I last tested the RCP application inside Eclipse...
We usually use the Ant build to launch and test the whole RCP application for two reasons:
- we had a lot of problems with the generation of the RCP application inside Eclipse before (sometimes Eclipse did not managed to generate the application).
- Apache Directory Studio now contains a certain number of eclipse plugins that need to be bundled with it (Ldap Browser plugins, Schema Editor plugins, Apache DS Configuration plugins, etc.) and we could not tell Eclipse to bundle properly these dependencies when launching the RCP product.

So, to summarize:
- to test a particular plugin, we launch it inside an Eclipse application.
- to test the complete Apache Directory Studio RCP App, we build it with Ant and launch it.

Hope this helps,
Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot

On Nov 20, 2007 7:10 PM, Felix Knecht <felixk@apache.org> wrote:
Hi Stefan

> Here are the steps using the ant/ivy build:
> - Checkout sources
> - Run "ant resolve"
> - Start eclipse (using a fresh workspace)
> - Select File->Import->General->Existing Projects into Workspace
> - Choose the folder with the sources
> - After some time there should be a list of projects, select all and finish

So far I am, but howto start the plugins within eclipse?

- I open the studio-rcp/studio.product file.
- In the Overview-Tab
 + I try to Testing/ 1. Synchronize -> Error 'The product's defining plug-in could not be found.
 + I try to Testing/ 2. Launch an Eclipse Application -> Error SESSION Tue Nov 20 19:08:18 CET 2007
!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.launcher 4 0 2007-11-20 19:08:18.687
!MESSAGE Exception launching the Eclipse Platform:
!STACK
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter
       at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:505)
       at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun (Main.java:447)
       at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1173)
       at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1148)

I'm using JDK1.6, Eclipse Europe 3.3.1.1. Do I need to install any further Eclipse plugins or can't I launch the plugins
like this as an application?

Thanks
Felix