directory-dev mailing list archives

From Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furus...@usit.uio.no>
Subject Re: Empty DN ("") String Value?
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:02:03 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> This is starting to be confusing. The initial question was :

Uh, right... I was halfway answering the question which is too short,
halfway Michael.

> "Should the toString() method of a class that represents a DN return
> null or an empty string?"

If a class represents a DN, toString() sounds like it should return that
DN's string representation as described in RFC 4514.  If you mean to ask
what to return when a class instance represents an _empty_ DN, then the
string representation is "".  toString() not returning a string sounds
strange to me whatever the object represents, but maybe that's because I
don't know java.  But NULL ought to mean "no dn", not "the empty dn".

--
Regards,
Hallvard