directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject [Commits etiquette]
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:40:33 GMT
Hi guys,

while discussing with Alex, we agreed that the way we are committing
in trunk/bigbang is a little bit too permissive or loosy. Let me
explain :
- when we are fixing an issue, if we do more than one commit, then
it's difficult to track
- when we are fixing some code, from time to time, we are also fixing
some side problems (warning removal, refactoring, etc)
- the logs are not always enough to explain what has been changed

At this point, we need some more "rules" or etiquette to be applied.
Some of them could be :
- always commit a fix in one shot
- add the JIRA reference in the logs
- if you like to commit files one by one to add accurates comments,
just do it in a branch, and when done, merge the branch in one shot

Of course, these are just suggestions at this point, mainly pushed by
Alex, but we should also agreed on them as a team.

So I would ask you to tell us what is your opinion about those proposals.

wdyt? How can we improve the way we commit ?

Thanks a lot for any suggestion !

--
Regards,
Cordialement,