directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Commits etiquette]
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:55:19 GMT
Hi Felix,

On Nov 26, 2007 5:01 PM, Felix Knecht <felixk@apache.org> wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny schrieb:

> > - if you like to commit files one by one to add accurates comments,
> > just do it in a branch, and when done, merge the branch in one shot
> >

> I'm not sure about this. The question for me at this point is "Where are the log entries
of interest?".

Please keep in mind that this suggestion was intended for cases when
each file changed is being committed one at a time often with the same
log message.  I'd rather have one commit that ties the picture
together with that log message.

However, even if the log message is not the same, it makes sense
sometimes to summarize or group all these changes together into a
single commit after a merge for a coherent unit of work.  It sure does
make searching the logs and getting a clear idea of the logical fix
much much easier.

<TIP>
A single revision can be used to commit changes across sub projects
like shared and apacheds projects (or any other combinations with
studio).  Just use the svn commit command with the paths of all the
subprojects like so:

    svn commit /workingdirs/apacheds /some/path/shared/ldap
/yet/another/path/studio
</TIP>

> When they are of most interest within the commit mails +1.
> When they are of most interest later on when regarding at a svn history I'm not sure
if it's really an easy way to go. I
> don't know svn that deep but I'd estimate that after merging your branch to the trunk
back again you won't have the
> additional logs anymore (the ones you've created the branch for). So when wanting to
see those extra log information you
> need to checkout exactly this branch. As already said I'm not sure if this is the case,
but if so -1.

<TIP>
You can still query the logs of a branch even if the branch is not
checked out of even if it no longer exists.  You can use svn log with
the old position (URL) of the branch:

svn log https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/apacheds/branches/existing_branch

-OR-

svn log -r rev_before_deletion