directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] In preparation for 1.0.1 release: candidates available
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:36:02 GMT
On Nov 12, 2007 11:20 AM, Chris Custine <ccustine@apache.org> wrote:
> > /var/lib/apacheds - Used for configuration and runtime data (partitions).
> > Also holds subdirectories for different configurations of apacheds. Comes
> > with a 'default' config. (Maybe /usr/local/apacheds/configs?)
>
> This directory is specified by the FHS specs ( http://www.pathname.com/fhs/
> ) and is used by many other programs that have data storage needs (MySQL,
> Postgres, etc.)

Thanks Chris this was a great move! We should adhere at a minimum to
the FHS specs.

> > So, you can see I don't know much about it, but I may know enough to get
> it
> > up and running although in a very manual manner. Assuming the init.d
> script
> > works on Ubuntu. The init.d script wants the name of an instance when
> > starting/stopping. How does it find this name parameter when the system is
> > starting up the server? It doesn't seem to default to anything...
>
> Yeah, this was an oversight and I think we are going to have to figure out a
> better way to do this in the next release.  There are basically 2 options:
> we create a config that says which instances get started by default (so
> starting stopping the service starts/stops all named instances ), or we
> create a new init for each instance.  I have seen it done both ways so
> suggestions are welcome.

I like the idea of having multiple init scripts for different
instances.  This aligns with how services are represented in UNIX sort
of the way Oracle appends _instancename to the service name.  If we
have a default, foo, and bar instance than we can have
apacheds_default, apacheds_foo, and apacheds_bar init scripts.  Then
when using chkconfig and the service scripts you can just configure or
launch that as a separate service.

> > FWIW, the i386 rpm seems to work OK on my PPC architecture.

Cool.  I have a PPC MacBookPro which I intend to install Linux on here
shortly and expose to the team so we can better test this
architecture.  I was going to install Fedora or CentOS on it.  However
is there a Ubuntu distro for PPC?  Can't seem to find one.  Looks like
there's only one for SPARC.

> Yes, with the Java installers, the platform id is largely irrelevant since
> Java has to be there seperately.  So I guess we could just make copies for
> the other platforms in case we ever do a yum repo or any of the other distro
> repos.

A repo for both deb and rpm based variants would be great to have.

Alex