directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot" ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Studio Maven Build
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2007 22:46:37 GMT
Hi Felix,

You can launch any Eclipse plugin from its plugin.xml file,  "Overview" tab,
by selecting "Testing" > "Launch an Eclipse Application".
This action will bundle all open projects inside a new instance of Eclipse
and launch it.

The case of the RCP application is different.
It's been a long time since I last tested the RCP application inside
Eclipse...
We usually use the Ant build to launch and test the whole RCP application
for two reasons:
- we had a lot of problems with the generation of the RCP application inside
Eclipse before (sometimes Eclipse did not managed to generate the
application).
- Apache Directory Studio now contains a certain number of eclipse plugins
that need to be bundled with it (Ldap Browser plugins, Schema Editor
plugins, Apache DS Configuration plugins, etc.) and we could not tell
Eclipse to bundle properly these dependencies when launching the RCP
product.

So, to summarize:
- to test a particular plugin, we launch it inside an Eclipse application.
- to test the complete Apache Directory Studio RCP App, we build it with Ant
and launch it.

Hope this helps,
Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot