directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot" ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Studio Maven Build
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 13:18:02 GMT
Hi,

On Nov 7, 2007 1:23 PM, Felix Knecht <felixk@apache.org> wrote:

> What 'profiles' are (intended) used for studio distributions?
> Shall all possibilities you can download an RCP dist for be supported
> and build ()?

Right now we support the following distributions:
Mac OS X PPC and i386 (Intel)
Windows (tested on XP and Vista, and it should work on Windows 2000 too)
Linux PPC, i386 and AMD64

I think they are the most commonly used configurations and we should
concentrate on these one. There no need to build a Linux (x86/Motif) version
if nobody needs it. If someone uses Linux (x86/Motif) and tells us on the ML
he would like a version of Studio, then we can integrate this one.

They are varying depending on the version of RCP your looking at:
> 3.2.1
>
> http://archive.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.2.1-200609210945/index.php
> 3.2.2
>
> http://archive.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.2.2-200702121330/index.php
> 3.3.1.1
>
> http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.3.1.1-200710231652/index.php
> 3.4M3
>
> http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.4M3-200711012000/index.php
> And - when migration to maven build process - which version(s) shall be
> used (ATM it's 3.2.1 based)?

Yes, it's based on 3.2.1 at the moment. This is because we could not get a
way to generate (within eclipse) the executables for Apache Directory Studio
(to replace the 3.2.1 ones) with Eclipse 3.3.0. I could not export the RCP
Application as a Mac OS X application correctly, the export was failing...
Maybe version 3.3.1.1 fixes that, I'll have to try again.

It would be very great if we could migrate both Ant+Ivy to Maven and Eclipse
version 3.2.1 to Eclipse version 3.3.x (for our Eclipse dependencies).

For eclipse most of the dependencies do not exist in a remote maven
> repository. Do you think it's possible/make sense to put them e.g. to
> the http://repo1.maven.org/maven2 repository (I think this is owned by
> ASF)? This could avoid the need of keeping them in a 'local-repo' within
> the studio project.
> Anyway I need to fix creation of the emtpy folders.

Now, that you prepared all the packages in their Maven repository format,
why not. But I wonder if that will be ok with the repository and the Eclipse
Foundation.

FYI, I have updated the page with our discussion (I need to update it with
the comments of this mail too).

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot