directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Enrique Rodriguez" <enriqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DNS] Trunk or branch for DNS work?
Date Sun, 11 Nov 2007 22:05:10 GMT
On Nov 10, 2007 8:51 PM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:
> I agree but dnsjava is a client library.  Are you using it to go
> through the wire via
> the protocol?

'dnsjava' has some functions that would be useful for doing PDU-level
comparisions, to test our codecs in isolation.  It also has some
routines for working with domain names.  However, I *would* like to
also use it to test the DnsServer over-the-wire with a stub backend.
The unit testing cycle and overall development is much faster without
involving the backend.  Ideally we would package the same tests with
'dnsjava' that both run against a stub store as well as the full
ApacheDS in 'server-unit', using some technique like the Maven 2
"tests" classifier that David Jencks detailed a bit ago.

I would also like to point out that in DIRSERVER-1091 the backend is
custom ("MyRecordStore"), so I think it makes sense to provide these
tests such that they don't require the full DIT.  As we can see from
DIRSERVER-1091, DIRSERVER-1092, and DIRSERVER-1093, there is a benefit
to making the protocol providers function without requiring the DIT
backend since it opens our user base to a wider community.

Enrique