directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject [Studio Connection] Adding Server version/name into the configuration, add configuration menu into the connection menu
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:09:34 GMT
Hi guys,

while trying to understand one of our user problem (he can't read a
configuration file), I tried to use the studio to reproduce the bug.

Atm, with the current version, to open a server.xml ADS file, you have
to do an 'open file'. It works. But I don't find this to be the best
solution. I would suggest that we keep this option, of course, but I
think it would be very interesting to associate the function to the
Connection element :
- when you create a connection to a server, you ask for the associated
file (this is an option, of course !)
- the user can also gives the server name and version he is using

So the next time the user want to open the configuration associated with
a connection, he just have to right click on the connection, and select
the menu 'open configuration'

This will help a lot :
- now, you don't have to browse many file system if you are managing
more than one server
- as each connection 'knows' which server/version its is managing, you
can directly open the right configuration plugin
- you don't have to open the connection, it can work offline
- and if the server's configuration is stored into the DIT (like for
OpenLDAP), you will be able to read it online too.
- last, not least, if the user don't configure the server's name and
version, it can be discovered on the first connection, as those
informations are stored into the server.

wdyt ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com