directory-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Knecht <fel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Commits etiquette]
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:01:10 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny schrieb:
> Hi guys,
>
> while discussing with Alex, we agreed that the way we are committing
> in trunk/bigbang is a little bit too permissive or loosy. Let me
> explain :
> - when we are fixing an issue, if we do more than one commit, then
> it's difficult to track

Definitely +1!

> - when we are fixing some code, from time to time, we are also fixing
> some side problems (warning removal, refactoring, etc)
> - the logs are not always enough to explain what has been changed
>
> At this point, we need some more "rules" or etiquette to be applied.
> Some of them could be :
> - always commit a fix in one shot

+1

> - add the JIRA reference in the logs

+1. I think that in this case JIRA is also able to find and link the commits in the issue.

> - if you like to commit files one by one to add accurates comments,
> just do it in a branch, and when done, merge the branch in one shot

I'm not sure about this. The question for me at this point is "Where are the log entries of
interest?".
When they are of most interest within the commit mails +1.
When they are of most interest later on when regarding at a svn history I'm not sure if it's
really an easy way to go. I
don't know svn that deep but I'd estimate that after merging your branch to the trunk back
again you won't have the
additional logs anymore (the ones you've created the branch for). So when wanting to see those
extra log information you
need to checkout exactly this branch. As already said I'm not sure if this is the case, but
if so -1.

My thoughts
Felix