directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Empty DN ("") String Value?
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2007 14:24:19 GMT
Michael Ströder wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

>>> Yes.  There is one case in the LDAP ASN.1 grammar (in rfc 4511) where
>>> you need to distinguish between an absent DN and an empty DN: The LDAPDN
>>> field ModifyDNRequest.newSuperior, which is 'OPTIONAL'.  There may be
>>> others in LDAP extensions defined elsewhere.
>>>

>> This is starting to be confusing. The initial question was :
>>
>> "Should the toString() method of a class that represents a DN return
>> null or an empty string?"
>>

> This can't be answered consistently without knowing what this returned
> value is used for. But I'll try: If you just created an object instance
> of the DN class without assigning any real DN to it method toString()
> should return NULL instead of "".

In this very case (ie, you do a new LdapDN(), which is an empty DN), I
would suggest you return "", not null. But if the DN is optional and not
used (as in a ModifyDN with no newSuperior), then you should return NULL
=> no newSuperior DN.

Do we agree ?

>> But if the question is :
>> "How do I represent a DN in a structure when I do a toString() on this
>> structure", then the answer would be :
>> - null if the DN member is null
>>

> I guess with "DN member" you're referring to the class' attribute for
> storing the DN. So I guess this is the case I described above.

yep. Like the 'name' element in a LdapResult (which is a mandatory
value, though should resolve to "" )

>> - "" if the DN does not hold any value.
>>

> I doubt that this is right or maybe I misunderstood "does not hold any
> value".

A LDAPDN is a translation of the X500 structure. It contains RDNs, and
when you don't have any RDN, then the DN does not contain any value.
This is what I wanted to express...
> Again: "" refers to the rootDSE or is the root naming context in search
> requests with scope!=base. If you pass "" to any other method (e.g. for
> a modify request) then it has a specific meaning (e.g. modifying the
> rootDSE).

correct.
> Well, not being a Java programmer I will stay out of further discussion
> because I don't know what's common in the Java world.

Oh, I don't think it's a Java problem, unless we consider it to be a
question on how to handle Null vs "" in Java.

I'm pretty sure that we are on the same page, to some extent, and that
Marc have the answers he was expecting, thanks to your mails !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org