directory-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Knecht <fel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Studio Maven Build
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 13:37:59 GMT
I set a watch on the confluence page to get notified when the page has
changes. This can avoid to write or c&p the things twice. Shall we just
do the discussions this way (just update in confluence) or still have it
twice (mailing-list and confluence)?

Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> On Nov 7, 2007 1:23 PM, Felix Knecht <felixk@apache.org
> <mailto:felixk@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     What 'profiles' are (intended) used for studio distributions?
>     Shall all possibilities you can download an RCP dist for be supported
>     and build ()?
>

> Right now we support the following distributions:
> Mac OS X PPC and i386 (Intel)
> Windows (tested on XP and Vista, and it should work on Windows 2000 too)
> Linux PPC, i386 and AMD64

Ok. Maybe this can help to find a better way about the profile chosing.

> I think they are the most commonly used configurations and we should
> concentrate on these one. There no need to build a Linux (x86/Motif)
> version if nobody needs it. If someone uses Linux (x86/Motif) and
> tells us on the ML he would like a version of Studio, then we can
> integrate this one.
>
>     They are varying depending on the version of RCP your looking at:
>     3.2.1
>     http://archive.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.2.1-200609210945/index.php
>     3.2.2
>     http://archive.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.2.2-200702121330/index.php
>     3.3.1.1 <http://3.3.1.1>
>     http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.3.1.1-200710231652/index.php
>     3.4M3
>     http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.4M3-200711012000/index.php
>     <http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.4M3-200711012000/index.php>
>     And - when migration to maven build process - which version(s)
>     shall be
>     used (ATM it's 3.2.1 based)?
>

> Yes, it's based on 3.2.1 at the moment. This is because we could not
> get a way to generate (within eclipse) the executables for Apache
> Directory Studio (to replace the 3.2.1 ones) with Eclipse 3.3.0. I
> could not export the RCP Application as a Mac OS X application
> correctly, the export was failing... Maybe version 3.3.1.1
> <http://3.3.1.1> fixes that, I'll have to try again.
>
> It would be very great if we could migrate both Ant+Ivy to Maven and
> Eclipse version 3.2.1 to Eclipse version 3.3.x (for our Eclipse
> dependencies).
>
>     For eclipse most of the dependencies do not exist in a remote maven
>     repository. Do you think it's possible/make sense to put them e.g. to
>     the http://repo1.maven.org/maven2 <http://repo1.maven.org/maven2>
>     repository (I think this is owned by
>     ASF)? This could avoid the need of keeping them in a 'local-repo'
>     within
>     the studio project.
>     Anyway I need to fix creation of the emtpy folders.
>

> Now, that you prepared all the packages in their Maven repository
> format, why not. But I wonder if that will be ok with the repository
> and the Eclipse Foundation.

I don't know, this would be one of the questions.

> FYI, I have updated the page with our discussion (I need to update it
> with the comments of this mail too).

Thanks.

Felix