directory-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Knecht <fel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven plugins for Apache Directory
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:29:10 GMT
Alex Karasulu schrieb:

> On 11/5/07, *Felix Knecht* <felix@otego.com <mailto:felix@otego.com>> wrote:
>
>     For the maven build of the Studio I also created some functionality
>     in a maven plugin.
>
>     So we do have now within 3 subprojects of Apache Directory maven
>     plugin functionality:
>
>     apacheds:
>     - apacheds-bootstrap-plugin
>     - apacheds-core-plugin
>
>     daemon:
>     - daemon-plugin
>
>     studio:
>     - maven-studio-plugin (or whatever it'll be named)
>
>     I just wonder if it would make sense to centralize the maven plugin
>     functionality for the Apache Directory project in a
>     new subproject e.g. directory-maven-plugin containing all maven
>     plugin related functionality?
>

> The idea did occur to me a couple times.  Sometimes I was just about to
> do that when it
> just seemed to fan out dependencies across subprojects.  Meaning right
> now we have a
> good breakdown where shared is independent.  apacheds depends on shared
> and studio
> depends on shared.  This new subprject would then have dependencies all
> over.  May not
> be a bad thing if it gives us other benefits.
>
> In terms of benefits it may allow us to release the plugins
> independently but because the
> plugins depend on other projects this may be a false benefit in reality.

I think about
- A subproject 'shared' exists to have shared stuff in one place - even if not everything
is used in each project (I
didn't checked this). A projects maven-plugin is a kind of the same, isn't it?
- After a short search I haven't found any documentation about the existing maven-plugins.
Having them in an own
subproject will give a chance to do the documentation in one place.
- You'll have 1 plugin name instead of already 4 (which IMO makes it more concise (maybe translation
is wrong but if
overviewable is better?)).
- The Apache Directory Project has 1 maven plugin with different goals and not different (distributed)
maven plugins in
the subprojects each containing hardly more than one goal.

- But yes, your right I haven't seen the dependencies to shared/apacheds.For the studio-plugin
I created I haven't so
far any dependencies to another apache directory project.

And finally I'm also asking - maybe sometimes stupid - questions to get some more knowledge
about and to understand
better why things are done in this or that way in the past.
So please stop me the questions are just too stupid, already discussed and a decision has
been made or I open old sores.

Felix