directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Chris Custine" <ccust...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] In preparation for 1.0.1 release: candidates available
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:20:14 GMT
On Nov 12, 2007 8:53 AM, chago <nabble@visualxs.com> wrote:

> I know nearly nothing about linux, although I am running Ubuntu on my mac
> TiBook (ppc).
>
> I installed alien which can install rpms and convert between many install
> packages. I used it to generate a pre/post scripts and unpack the rpm into
> local directory. I can also use alien to install the rpm. Other than some
> inappropriate (for ubuntu) directories, it seems like it would install
> fine.
>
> I really don't have the skill to write an install script. I was baffled by
> lot of the /etc/init.d/apacheds file, especially the recursive launch of
> the
> script when run-as does not match current user. I'm not even sure what

This was inherited from the Tanuki wrapper daemon and is basically a
mechanism to launch the java program as a different user.  This is a
necessary hack since Java doesn't do setuid   I didn't like a lot of that
either, but the Tanuki wrapper works really well and has a lot of
potential.  Maybe we can make some improvements or suggestions to them.

> directories are preferred when installing the different sections of the
> code. For example, the current codebase works with these separate
> directories...
>
> /etc/init.d - Used for apacheds start/stop script (same for ubuntu)
> /etc/sysconfig - Used for specifying a couple directory paths (don't know
> where ubuntu would want these. Seems like a waste of a folder for just
> storing some "conf" data. I suppose they exist because they are conf data
> for the server proper and not the server instance.)

Exactly...  this is just to have a place to set global env data before the
rest of the script runs so that the admin doesn't have to edit the init
script.  This lets these customizations survive upgrades.

> /var/lib/apacheds - Used for configuration and runtime data (partitions).
> Also holds subdirectories for different configurations of apacheds. Comes
> with a 'default' config. (Maybe /usr/local/apacheds/configs?)

This directory is specified by the FHS specs (
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/) and is used by many other programs that
have data storage needs (MySQL,
Postgres, etc.)

> /var/run - Holds the pid apacheds is running on. (/var/lock in ubuntu)
> /opt/apacheds-1.5.1 - Holds the implementation of the server, including
> the
> bin directory for launching. (not sure where this should go, maybe
> /usr/local/apacheds-1.5.1?)

This is again specified by FHS, but as long as the location is reflected in
the init script, it can go anywhere.

> So, you can see I don't know much about it, but I may know enough to get
> it
> up and running although in a very manual manner. Assuming the init.dscript
> works on Ubuntu. The init.d script wants the name of an instance when
> starting/stopping. How does it find this name parameter when the system is
> starting up the server? It doesn't seem to default to anything...

Yeah, this was an oversight and I think we are going to have to figure out a
better way to do this in the next release.  There are basically 2 options:
we create a config that says which instances get started by default (so
starting stopping the service starts/stops all named instances ), or we
create a new init for each instance.  I have seen it done both ways so
suggestions are welcome.

> FWIW, the i386 rpm seems to work OK on my PPC architecture.

Yes, with the Java installers, the platform id is largely irrelevant since
Java has to be there seperately.  So I guess we could just make copies for
the other platforms in case we ever do a yum repo or any of the other distro
repos.

Thanks for the discussion.  Like Alex said, any help in this area is
welcome.

Chris