directory-dev mailing list archives

From chago <nab...@visualxs.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] In preparation for 1.0.1 release: candidates available
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:53:26 GMT

I know nearly nothing about linux, although I am running Ubuntu on my mac
TiBook (ppc).

I installed alien which can install rpms and convert between many install
packages. I used it to generate a pre/post scripts and unpack the rpm into a
local directory. I can also use alien to install the rpm. Other than some
inappropriate (for ubuntu) directories, it seems like it would install fine.

I really don't have the skill to write an install script. I was baffled by a
lot of the /etc/init.d/apacheds file, especially the recursive launch of the
script when run-as does not match current user. I'm not even sure what
directories are preferred when installing the different sections of the
code. For example, the current codebase works with these separate
directories...

/etc/init.d - Used for apacheds start/stop script (same for ubuntu)
/etc/sysconfig - Used for specifying a couple directory paths (don't know
where ubuntu would want these. Seems like a waste of a folder for just
storing some "conf" data. I suppose they exist because they are conf data
for the server proper and not the server instance.)
/var/lib/apacheds - Used for configuration and runtime data (partitions).
Also holds subdirectories for different configurations of apacheds. Comes
with a 'default' config. (Maybe /usr/local/apacheds/configs?)
/var/run - Holds the pid apacheds is running on. (/var/lock in ubuntu)
/opt/apacheds-1.5.1 - Holds the implementation of the server, including the
bin directory for launching. (not sure where this should go, maybe
/usr/local/apacheds-1.5.1?)

So, you can see I don't know much about it, but I may know enough to get it
up and running although in a very manual manner. Assuming the init.d script
works on Ubuntu. The init.d script wants the name of an instance when
starting/stopping. How does it find this name parameter when the system is
starting up the server? It doesn't seem to default to anything...

FWIW, the i386 rpm seems to work OK on my PPC architecture.