Yeah I would prefer this as well and so would David however there are some
reasons for keeping it setter/getter based for the sake of facilitating OSGi
capabilities in the future. This is the only thing we really need to do to allow
for OSGi hopefully.

Alex

What I can see is that when initializing the server (LdapServer),
looking at the server.xml file :
  <ldapServer id="ldapsServer"
          enabled="false"
              ipPort="60636"
              enableLdaps="true">
    <directoryService>#directoryService</directoryService>
    <socketAcceptor>#socketAcceptor</socketAcceptor>
  </ldapServer>

the constructor is called first. As the reference to #directoryService
is not set yet, and as it is needed into the constructor, it resolves
to null.

Is there a way to avoid such a problem, for instance by adding the
directory service as a parameter fo the constructor ?

Doing something like :
  <ldapServer id="ldapsServer"
          enabled="false"
              ipPort="60636"
              enableLdaps="true"
              directoryService="#directoryService">
    <socketAcceptor>#socketAcceptor</socketAcceptor>
  </ldapServer>

for instance ?

--
Regards,