Some commands not all need much more information to do things like dump the contents
of a partition while the server is off line or in a state where it cannot be started.  If you like
give it a try and see what you can do to remedy this particular problem and I think we'll both
be on the same page.

Alex

On Oct 3, 2007, at 10:35 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> As I make my way with the removal of various configuration beans I
> ran into a problem in the
> apacheds-server-tools module.  This module uses spring to load the
> configuration but it really
> does not intend to start the server but rather to read the
> configuration to run various utility
> commands with that information: i.e. connect to a running instance
> to perform operations.
>
> If these commands use Spring to get these objects and they startup
> then there will be an
> exception due to the server already running and ports being used.
> So if Spring starts up
> these objects we're in trouble within this module.
>
> Do you have any advice for dealing with this situation?

I have only a vague recollection of looking at this module... IIUC
these are command line commands that connect to a running server and
tell it to do something.  IIUC the server can be on a different
machine?  Do they need more information about the server than its
host and port?  I would think that the specific configuration of a
server might be info we wouldn't want to publish let alone require
for using the tools.... so I wonder what information from server.xml
is actually needed?

thanks
david jencks