Well that was pretty weird.  It turns out qdox doesn't like it if you try to compare longs.  After some experimentation I found a locution using Math.abs that I beileve gives the same answer and qdox doesn't argue about.   I committed this version.  I'll see if we are using up to date qdox and if we can get it fixed.

thanks
david jencks