directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Studio] [Help wanted] Eclipse RCP testing framework
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2007 20:17:05 GMT
Hi Stefan,

yes, testing a GUI is painful... And no, I don't know about the silver
bullet tool to test a GUI.

The only way to lower the number of remaining bugs is to decouple the
presentation from the logic. MVC is the way to go. If you can reach a
point where you can define Mock objects to mimic user interactions,
then you have done more than half the way !

At some point, for the browser, the solution will also imply that you
embed ADS into your tests to be able to guarantee that you don't have
regression.

At the end of the day, doing that will lower the number of bugs in the GUI.

I saw that you filled a JIRA where you expressed the need to use an
existing library (LdapDNParser or NameParser) instead of your own
brewed library. Doing that will be a benefit because existing
libraries are already coming with their own tests, so you will avoid
to define some new ones, saving a lot of your time.

You have raised a very good concern with those tests. We can discuss
about how to create some tests on some pieces of the browser code, I'm
sure that many other committers have good idea about how to improve
the client robustness.

E.

--
Regards,