directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <>
Subject Re: Misleading Developer Guide for ADS 1.5
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:08:43 GMT
Forget about my initial mail.

I could have stated that the dev guide is not exactly well organized,
but this is our fault, so it's mine too ;)

Alex, you are plain right. The AUG is the place for Embedding the
server or using it for unit test.

I may have been confused by the 1.5 developper's guide page which is
really less organized than the 1.0 one.

On 10/22/07, Alex Karasulu <> wrote:
> On 10/22/07, Emmanuel Lecharny <> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I just realized that what we call Developer Guide in ADS 1.5 is really
> > misleading : it's pretty much an internal documentation we are using
> > while developping the server itself than a documentation targeting
> > users who want to use ADS to do unit tests or to embed the server.
> Actually this is exactly what I intended the developer guide to be:
> documentation
> for us and those that want to get involved with developing code for
> ApacheDS.  It's
> not there for people to use ADS for unit tests.  Using ADS for unit tests
> and/or
> for embedding should be in advanced sections of the UG no?
> > I would suggest that we get all the developpement dopco into the
> >
> pages, and
> > organized the Developer Guide differently.
> >
> > WDYT ?
> We could do that.  However DIRxDEV is there for general information on how
> to check out and build the projects to get started.  And this is good where
> it
> is since it does not change much and describes how we do things across
> projects
> here at Directory.  This is idea content to be exposed on the site.
> Architectural details and the design of features introduced in specific
> branches are
> better off being put into the individual branch spaces. Like the dynamic
> schema feature
> which was introduced in 1.5.x.  How this was designed, why and various
> implementation details and problems should not be put into DIRxDEV.
> Alex

Emmanuel L├ęcharny

View raw message