directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ServerEntry] Comments
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2007 18:46:18 GMT
> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> This duplicates data in both confluence and in SVN.
>
> Confluence is bulky.  Why bulk it up more with versioning code in flux with
> it. Subversion
> does this better.

I agree. However, I like to push the first drop in confluence, because
I don't mess the branch. But as soon as the code (and tests) are in
subversion, I think that nothing could compare to code and javadoc. I
will clean confluence from all those garbages.

> What about this instead?
>
> (1) comment code in the code and discuss things on the mailing list

We just need to add some very clear comment when we commit the code.
We are smart enough to read the diffs, so it should be perfectly ok.

> (2) stabilize interfaces after several passes then commit to them

We can commit until we get something clear and agreed.

> (3) remove the code from confluence and just reference the code in
> subversion

Yes, and we can also simply remove all references, because JavaDoc
should be enough ( we still have to generate javadoc for the project
btw :)

> (4) remove @todo comments talking about design issues and use them to
>      compose the design documentation explaining these choices made
> (5) use extra energy and time to organize better the developer documentation
>      on this and give synopsis using our new Posidon tool to show a clear
> picture

YES YES YES !

> If you really want to duplicate this code in confluence then I'll do that
> our of courtesy.
> However I'm hoping you think twice about it and save me the trouble.

Nope, As I said, I like to do thing first in confluence because it
helps me to organize my thoughts. I would say it forces me to clarify
what I have in mind. Everybody his own method, and I wont force you to
do so.

> P.S.
> I have been noticing that the quality of the developer documentation is
> dropping because
>  we use it as a scratch pad which is fine but we never really cleanup.  Or
> we mix the essential
> concepts in with lots of irrelevant notes.  So this bypasses the purpose of
> transferring knowledge
> quickly and efficiently to our team.

I hope you are not talking about the ServerEntry stuff :)

--
Regards,
Cordialement,