directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tests in server-unit: Test vs. ITest and FastXYZTest
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 17:23:39 GMT
> (1)
> Some long running tests have the suffix "ITest" (and so they are
> selected only when integration tests should run), and some have not. For
> instance there are both ReferralITest and ReferralTest, with exactly the
> same javadoc ("Tests to make sure the server is operating correctly when
> handling referrals."), but different tests. Is there a rationale whether
> a tests is an ITest or a Test? What if I change an ITest and make it
> dramatically faster with the help of AbstractServerFastTest. Should I
> rename it?

There is a JIRA about this :

> (2)
> Some tests have a prefix "Fast...", like FastAddITest or FastDelITest.
> These are in fact subclasses from AbstractServerFastTest. If I refactor
> a class XYTest and make it a subclass of AbstractServerFastTest, should
> I rename it to FastXYTest? I must say that I do not like it. From a
> design point of view, the aspect that a test runs fast should not make
> it in the test name.

It's temporary. I just didn't wanted to remove the 'slow' tests,
because theyr are our baseline for tests, so I prefixed the new ones
with FAST.

We had a convo with Alex about that, and I suggested that we add a new
maven's profile to run the new tests (or the old tests). For instance,
the AddITest can be renamed AddSItest (SI for SlowIntegration) and
FastAddITest will be renamed to AddITest.

wdyt ?

--
Regards,
Cordialement,