directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Misleading Developer Guide for ADS 1.5
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:43:53 GMT

> Hi guys,
>
> I just realized that what we call Developer Guide in ADS 1.5 is really
> misleading : it's pretty much an internal documentation we are using
> while developping the server itself than a documentation targeting
> users who want to use ADS to do unit tests or to embed the server.

Actually this is exactly what I intended the developer guide to be:
documentation
for us and those that want to get involved with developing code for
ApacheDS.  It's
not there for people to use ADS for unit tests.  Using ADS for unit tests
and/or
for embedding should be in advanced sections of the UG no?

I would suggest that we get all the developpement dopco into the
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxDEV/Index pages, and
> organized the Developer Guide differently.
>
> WDYT ?

We could do that.  However DIRxDEV is there for general information on how
to check out and build the projects to get started.  And this is good where
it
is since it does not change much and describes how we do things across
projects
here at Directory.  This is idea content to be exposed on the site.

Architectural details and the design of features introduced in specific
branches are
better off being put into the individual branch spaces. Like the dynamic
schema feature
which was introduced in 1.5.x.  How this was designed, why and various
implementation details and problems should not be put into DIRxDEV.

Alex