directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Testing with a specific server.xml
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2007 22:32:23 GMT
There are several neat things we can do to enable reuse of the test code for
different configurations.
The key lies in separating out the tests which test the protocol from those
that test server internals
in these tests may fail under different configurations.  To some degree this
is true for most cases
obviously, not configuring the LDAP server will break all protocol tests.
However presuming at a logical
level you have the same relative LDAP configuration just use a different
partition implementation or use
a new handler etc then this code should work.  And reuse becomes valuable to
affirm that this is actually
the case.

We tried to separate the protocol testing code to some degree with
server-unit verses core unit.
However with more people forgetting the original intent of the separation I
think it's gotten out of hand.

Regardless test reuse can be achieved if we can decouple the tests from the
configuration: more specifically
how the server is configured and started.  Doing so will allow all sorts of
possibilities.

(1) plugging in different component implementations to confirm correct
operation
(2) using a pool of servers that have already been fired up to speed up and
parallelize protocol tests
(3) applying these tests on other servers to see how they behave in various
situations

I think there are more possibilities here besides the 3 I listed.

Alex