directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What about Kerberos becoming a separate project ?
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 04:22:27 GMT

> Hi, all:
>      I happend to find this thread. Is it a little outdate? :)

No not at all the topic can be discussed at any time :).  However rehashing
the
same topic repeatedly is a real PITA when nothing else has changed.

     Harmony project is now implementing a JGSS provider which
> contains a lot of work with kerberos. We intend to borrow kerberos
> related code from apache Directory and it will be great if kerberos is
> a seperate project.

How about getting involved with the parts that you're interested in first?
It sounds
to me like you want the client side functionality and I think we already
have some of
that in a separate client project.  Just jump in and get involved with the
community.

And I also acknowledge the concern to maintain a
> sub project and I think we can give some help if we can and are
> looking forward to its becoming true.

That's great! Having a separate subproject should not be the driver though.
However
if there is ample community around the code base then there's no reason not
to consider
it again.  The point being supportability with a healthy group of people
around that code
base.  Please feel free to just dig in and start contributing.

Alex