directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Issues with tests
Date Sun, 07 Oct 2007 03:51:26 GMT

> IIRC, the base classes you mention cannot currently be reused for the
> non-LDAP protocol providers.  The setUp() method in question does not
> allow modification to the configuration prior to the startup of the
> server.  Once the server is started up, there is no way to dynamically
> reconfigure.  Thus the "cut & paste" code you see is simply the
> minimum boilerplate for starting a server instance when custom config
> is required.

Yes this makes sense.  You're right about it.  Hopefully we can get to a
better situation
for all the protocols across the board.

It was just a pain having to refactor each one of these tests whereas the
other tests fell
in line with a fix to the AbstractTestCase.

Perhaps as the tests are migrated to the FastXXXITest test we can
> figure out to allow subclasses to make these changes in a clean
> manner.

That would be really nice especially with your involvement.  As witnessed by
this refactoring, tests
really save us.  Without them in place refactoring like this would have not
been possible.  So let's
do it right for all the protocols with these new FastXXXITests once and for
all.

Alex