directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Ersin Er" <ersin...@gmail.com>
Subject [ApacheDS] ServerAttribute - Attribute
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 07:30:39 GMT
Hi all,

I was looking at the proposal for ServerAttribute stuff at the following
page:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxPMGT/Value%2C+ServerEntry

First of all, IMO we should not have anything from JNDI inside the core. So
taking an Attribute as a parameter to ServerAttributeImpl constructor is not
necessary IMO. However we should have utilities to perform conversion
between the two.

And again following the same issue, there is a line in the mentioned
constructor:

public  ServerAttributeImpl( Attribute attribute ) throws  NamingException
    {
        if ( attribute == null )
        {
            log.error(  "Null attribute is not allowed" );
            throw new  NamingException( "Null attribute is not allowed" );
        }
        else if ( attribute instanceof  ServerAttributeImpl )
        {

Neither ServerAttributeImpl nor ServerAttribute implements the Attribute
interface. So this constructor will never work. I guess it may be unintended
error. Not a big problem of course.

But the point is, again, I think it's better not to have Attribute inside
the server. As we'll decouple the JNDI layer, the conversion can be done
inside that adaptor if necessary.

WDYT?

--
Ersin Er