directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot" ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: [Studio] Eclipse Rich Ajax Platform (RAP)
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2007 07:33:55 GMT
Hi Alex,

I just tested it and I have bad news and good news...

The good news is, it can be very flexible and easy to develop a light weight
AND a rich client with the SAME code, with just a switch of target plaform
when compiling the classes and a simple dependencies replacements in the
MANIFEST.MF file.

The bad news is, not all the SWT classes have been ported yet to Ajax UI
classes so most of our existing plugins won't work with RAP.

I tried to adapt the LDAP Browser to the RAP prerequisites but, we're using
too many classes that have not been ported yet and the code have thousands
of errors that we can't fix.

However, I managed to get the Apache DS Configuration Plugin almost working
inside RAP.
Here are some screenshots of what it looks like :
http://people.apache.org/~pamarcelot/ApacheDSConfInRAP/
<http://people.apache.org/%7Epamarcelot/ApacheDSConfInRAP/>
You can compare these screenshots to the "real" Rich Client Platform result
with the screenshots on this page :
http://directory.apache.org/studio/screenshots.html

It looks almost the same.

So I think, this can be interesting to look at an administrative application
for Apache DS that could be deploy as an RCP Application but also as a RAP
Application (which could be launched with the server using Jetty).

So, Alex, you're right... "we better embed Jetty into ApacheDS soon"

Regards,
P-A

> Yeah I saw this a while back.  Actually one of their developers showed it
> to me at my house.
> I ran into him when Niclas Hedhman decided to throw an OSGi party at my
> place :).
>
> Anyways, I nearly shat my pants when I first saw what they were doing.
> This was right when the
> application for the incubator was filed.  Even then they were showing us
> how the same bundles were
> used to generate both a fat client UI and an Ajax based web application
> UI.  At that time they seemed
> to simply swap out the SWT libraries under the hood so that even bundles
> that worked with SWT
> could be used to generate ajax UIs.  Essentially the SWT implementation
> was swapped out for a web
> based one.

Exactly, it is just a matter of target platform, but not all SWT packages
have their identicals in RAT UI, so some code does not compile

At that time it seemed a bit heavy but I guess they must have come a long