directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Configuration of protocols
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:48:06 GMT
In rev 583375  I moved all the non-ldap protocol servers into
independent components and provided 2 NTP implementations as a basis
for further discussion.

NtpConfiguration illustrates the approach of a single component to
configure both udp and tcp versions of the same protocol.  This could
trivially be enhanced with flags to enable/disable the tcp or udp
choices.  If we decide on this approach I would rename the class
NtpServer.

server.xml configuration of this looks like:

   <ntpConfiguration ipPort="80123">
     <apacheDs>#apacheDS</apacheDs>
   </ntpConfiguration>

AbstractNtpServer, TcpNtpServer, and UdpNtpServer illustrate the
approach of a component per protocol version.  server.xml
configuration of this looks like:

   <udpNtpConfiguration ipPort="81123">
     <apacheDs>#apacheDS</apacheDs>
   </udpNtpConfiguration>
   <tcpNtpConfiguration ipPort="81123">
     <apacheDs>#apacheDS</apacheDs>
   </tcpNtpConfiguration>

I don't have a strong preference between these two approaches and
think they both are equally good components.  I think the first,
single component managing both servers, will be easier for our users
to understand and configure, although it might be conceptually
slightly less pure.

Whatever the outcome of this discussion I think the next step, other
than conforming the protocol servers to whatever we decide, is to
move the mina setup code in ApacheDS into a separate component: this
would replace the ApacheDS reference in all these servers.

thanks
david jencks