directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] [BigBang] Issues regarding configuration verses functional beans
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2007 21:12:00 GMT

On Oct 4, 2007, at 5:42 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Some commands not all need much more information to do things like
> dump the contents
> of a partition while the server is off line or in a state where it
> cannot be started.  If you like
> give it a try and see what you can do to remedy this particular
> problem and I think we'll both
> be on the same page.

I might need more information on what you expect these tools to be
able to do before getting very far on this.   I looked at the dump
command and it looks to me like its making a lot of assumptions about
what kind of partitions are installed and where they are.  I didn't
figure out what it peeks into server.xml to find.

In any case, there seem to be 3 obvious choices:

- configure these command separately independent of the server.xml
- extract configuration info from server.xml through some mechanism
without starting any part of the server.  IIUC this is roughly what
happens now since spring doesn't actually start anything, just get it
ready for something else to call init on.
- divide the server.xml up into parts some of which can be started
without the others.  For instance maybe the partitions could be in a
partitions.xml and the dump tool could start that part.

I tend to lean towards the first or third of these but I certainly
don't have much idea what the tools are supposed to do.

thanks
david jencks