directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject [Studio] [Help wanted] Eclipse RCP testing framework
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:32:16 GMT
Hello everybody,

as Studio is downloaded and used more and more, we get more an more bug
reports and feature requests. We have to refactory some code in order to
add new features, currently I am refactoring the browser core. Such
refactorings are dangerous without good test and without a good test
coverage. But the fact is that we only have very few tests in Studio and
they aren't integrated into the build system.

One reason is that (at least) I am a bit lazy in writing tests ;-).
However testing an Eclipse RCP application is not really easy. It is
necessary to startup eclipse because even some non-UI code depends on
the eclipse framework. And for UI-code I only found commercial test tools.

I think testing the core classes is a must. One thing I found is that
Eclipse/RCP could be started in headless mode, I think that could be
used to integrate tests into the build system. Another idea is to learn
how Eclipse itself is tested, I guess they have a lot of unit tests.

So if somebody has some expierence with testing RCP applications or is
just interested in figuring out how to test them, we would be really
pleased if somebody would like to contribute to Studio.

Best Regards,
Stefan Seelmann