directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Tests in server-unit: Test vs. ITest and FastXYZTest
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 16:57:34 GMT
Hi all!

I have started to refactor some tests in server-unit. Focus are those
who run a long time and are easy to adjust to Emmanuels new
AbstractServerFastTest.

I have two questions:

(1)
Some long running tests have the suffix "ITest" (and so they are
selected only when integration tests should run), and some have not. For
instance there are both ReferralITest and ReferralTest, with exactly the
same javadoc ("Tests to make sure the server is operating correctly when
handling referrals."), but different tests. Is there a rationale whether
a tests is an ITest or a Test? What if I change an ITest and make it
dramatically faster with the help of AbstractServerFastTest. Should I
rename it?

(2)
Some tests have a prefix "Fast...", like FastAddITest or FastDelITest.
These are in fact subclasses from AbstractServerFastTest. If I refactor
a class XYTest and make it a subclass of AbstractServerFastTest, should
I rename it to FastXYTest? I must say that I do not like it. From a
design point of view, the aspect that a test runs fast should not make
it in the test name.

What do you think?

Greetings,
     Stefam