directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [ChangeLog] Some Q about initialization
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:27:14 GMT

On Oct 10, 2007, at 5:46 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering if we should not be able to initialize the logger
> dynamically ? Using an extended operation to start or stop the logger
> seems appropriate.

What is the use case for turning it on and off while the server is
running?  Usually when you introduce runtime configurability like
this you need to either synchronize something on the runtime path or
introduce a volatile to assure that the component is using completely
initialized and configured objects, and this can easily add up in
speed costs.

> I also think that the Interceptor I'm working on is not really a log
> interceptor, as it stores anti-modification, and not the modifications
> themselves. Should we create another interceptor, or should we store
> the anti-modification somewhere else?
>
> As those anti-modification must be applied in revert order, a file is
> not really the most appropriate solution.
>
> For what we want to use it (reverting to a previous state) we can
> store the anti-modifications in a stack, in memory.
>
> Thoughts ?

Why not store a complete representation of the change as a
modification and compute the anti-modification only if it is needed?
Then the log can also work as a transaction journal.  I have no idea
how hard figuring out a complete representation of the change is --
your other post made it sound like it has a lot of complexity.

thanks
david jencks