directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Triplesec] [AuthZ] Environments and Groups
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 08:51:48 GMT

On Oct 30, 2007, at 9:19 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> [...]
> members in Triplesec
> necessarily.  Users might do so with a Triplesec only solution if
> external systems are not
> to be utilized.  Most likely we will be dealing with the mixed case
> where users and groups
> are defined in Triplesec and within external systems.  Triplesec
> will need to use some
> techniques we can discuss later to refer to these externally
> defined entities.
>
> Since we are
> discussing authorization here I think this means that there are sets
> of users we want to grant the same permissions with a single simple
> operation.
>
> Well I'm just talking about the purpose of grouping in general.  I
> think we can get
> into this aspect in the role assignments thread. For now groups are
> just sets of
> objects although I refer to user groups specifically above.
>
> > We extract more glossary definitions:
> >
> > Group:
> >    A set of distinctly identifiable entities which are
> > categorically alike within an
> >    organization, organizational unit or with respect to some
> > organizational process.
> >
> I'm not sure what this means beyond "a group is a set of  users".
>
> Well you can group many things besides just human users.  We can group
> printers, processes, even organizations and their divisions etc.
>
> I'm sure everyone agrees that we need an easy way to take users who
> need to do the same kind of stuff and treat them all in the same
> way.
>
> Yes!  That's it.  This is all we need to agree on in this thread.
>
> Even though "groups" are in most or all existing systems I'm
> not sure our model or our discussion needs a separate concept from
> "roles" to handle them.
>
> No! It was going so well then this :). Groups have no security
> connotation associated
> with them.  They're just sets or collections of objects.  Some
> groups may have a
> uniqueness requirement so they're sets of objects.  Others don't so
> they're collections
> of objects.
>
> Groups can be extended in several ways and we can talk about that
> later but as a teaser
> we have the following concepts/extensions:
>
>    o nested groups
>    o static groups
>    o dynamic groups
>
> To me it seems that conceptually when you
> start with users and ask "who does the same kind of job" you think
> "group" but when you start with permissions and ask "what permissions
> do we need to group together to get a useful task done" you think
> "role".
>
> You're mixing concepts here.  I will state what I consider to be
> some pretty concrete
> and simple facts about groups and you can refute or agree with them:
>
> (1) A group is a set or collection of objects.

I don't mean to quibble and I don't see how it makes any difference
to meaning but what is the difference?

> (2) A group does not have any security connotation associate with
> it's definition. It's
>      merely an amalgamation.

<flame>In that case why are we talking about it in the context of an
authz manager?</flame>
> (3) Groups are often defined to reduce the amount of management
> overhead by enabling
>      administrators to apply one operation to a group of N members,
> instead of N
>      operations on each member.  The drive to maximize this benefit
> over time brings about
>      different kinds of groupings that naturally align with
> processes and organizational structures.
> (4) A group need not be homogeneous.

Not sure what you mean by this.

I don't argue with any of this but don't see how it relates to
whether "group" is an appropriate concept for an RBAC discussion.
I've never denied that existing systems have groups defined in them
and we have to work with these existing systems.  Just because data
is stored in something called a "group" doesn't, to me, mean we need
to call it a group in our model or code.

> Not sure about the value #3 provides to the discussion but it
> sounds good to say :-D.

I like #3 the best myself :-)

thanks
david jencks