These changes in them selves will add clarity to the server's architecture and are things that
we also want to do.  For example the last point is something I told you on IRC that we want
to do desparately to decouple server internals from JNDI semantics so I personally am giddy
for you to be helping us.  You're the answer to a lot of my problems :) - hence why I changed
my vote to continue forward.

Alex

Repeatiing some of what I said on the Vote thread...

I don't expect to be able to help much with the actual ldap features
going into 2.0 but I would like to work on these features that based
on my experience I think will make both using and working on apacheds
a lot more pleasant in the short term even if there may be better
long term solutions (e.g. configuration in DIT) or may require
existing users to adjust server customizations.

- allow optional configuration using xbean-spring (DIRSERVER-984).
While allowing use of old-style server.xml this also lets users
configure the server according to a schema derived from the actual
server components.  IIRC the schema generation process also generates
documentation for the configuration.

- gradually eliminate the *Configuration wrappers around server
components, starting with InterceptorConfiguration (DIRSERVER-1023).
This (at least for interceptors) isn't a giant code change but IMO
really improves the clarity of the code and makes it much easier to
change and work with.

- separate the operations of starting an embedded server from jndi.
E.g., currently you feed a StartupConfiguration into the jndi
environment and some magic happens :-).  I don't have a clear idea
for the best replacement for this but one obvious possibility that
seems likely to work is to construct the running server directly in
code from the appropriate components and feed that into the jndi
environment.  As we get closer perhaps a better solution will appear.

thanks
david jencks