I'm changing my vote here for several reasons.  Perhaps I can explain quickly here.

First and foremost David Jencks had some changes in the queue which will induce change and
he is frustrated with having to wait.  I'd rather deal with helping a couple users than loose David
who has some great ideas that could help a lot.

I was undecisive because well others here were getting all sensitive on me about users.  This is the
experimental branch and we agreed on it in the past.  So no need to change that.  We should stick
to our guns.

As far as doco we can all update what exists to reflect changes to the server.xml and to the way the
server is embedded.  The bottom line is we need to make serious changes and there is some coupling.
When you change one thing for really the better you better fix it right.  So users are going to be impacted
by this anyways no matter what.  We might as well get it over now.

I know we want an enterprise grade directory server out there soon.  But this recent roadmap
shows me that end of year is a pipe dream.  We are where we are and we need to accept that.  Our aim
is to build community around software not to get everyone to use ApacheDS.  Users will come when the
community is better equipped to handle the code and evolve the server.  Looking at some of the responses
to the roadmap from ersin and even myself I think we all just want to work on the features without being
rushed to do so.  I know I have been rushing everytone most of all but it's come back to basics time:
Let's have fun and build a damn good LDAP server together.  It will be ready for the enterprise when it is
ready.

So I plan to go hog wild on this code base fixing all the little nasties that have built up over time.  Going
medi-evil on the architecture in what is an experimental branch.  Users can keep up or just use 1.0 for
the time being.

[X] Option #1: Continue making moderate to large scale changes in 1.5 branch which effect standalone
    and embedding users.

Excuse the vote change but I'm gaining more clarity from recent roadmap and other conversations.

Alex