For those reasons, I would say : keep 2.0 conf as is, and do
experimentations in a branch.

So we're not going to be too free to experiment from now on in 1.5 branch?  This sort of
breaks with our general policy on branches yet it's appealing in many other ways.  It's
just a matter of trade offs.  It's more important in this case for us to just make a decision.

Either option is fine with me since both choices take relatively the same time and energy.
I started this thread to see what people are thinking about it and it sounds as though there
is a split.  Perhaps we just need a vote and go with it.

Alex