Yes we must start thinking about this heavily but the question remains: When?

Do we get a 2.0 out with what features we can fit into the present architecture first
then work on these features in the next experimental branch?

IMO 1.0 is just done. 1.5.x is so much better in every respect.  Our users deserve 2.0
ASAP.  But we must balance this with stuffing in the right features into what exists.
I want 2.0.x to have a good half life.  We need to decide what to do.  Or we can just
start working on a redesign concurrently in some branch.

Alex