On 9/20/07, Marc Boorshtein <mboorshtein@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any reason why LDAP never defined application level subtree specification
> mechanisms?  Right now the subentry is used
> with the a operational usage for the main subtreeSpecification attribute.
> Also the base is AP position relative.  Why not
> have an application space specification and use that for dynamic grouping?

When it comes to a 'local' directory how is this different from having
application specific attributes and ACLs that control who can see
what?

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing here.

Oracle Virtual Directory has similar feature, but as a virtual
directory it limits what 'adapters' can be accessed by a client
connection.  Since virtual directories often create application
specific 'views' of data this feature makes it easier to use a single
virtual directory for multiple applications.  Maybe I don't understand
your use case?

Creating sets of entries is the topic at hand - just wondering why SS was not
used there.  I think we're not on the same page but no worries. Thanks anyway.

Alex