directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IRC channel for developers
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2007 07:22:27 GMT
Hi Yeliz,

sadly, we don't have anymore logging set up for IRC. And I must say
that generally speaking, those conversation are not very interesting
from your point of view.

The point about IRC is just to discuss very precise things wich does
not worth being shared with the community through the mailing lits,
like "you have committed this code, it breaks the build, can you fix
it", or stuff like that which have very short lives. We prefer using
the ML for questions which can be interesting to the community. This
is the point : when a convo seems to be interesting on IRC, it's
copied/pasted on the ML. IRC convo can also be very personnal, like
when we have to organize travels to a conference.

IRC has been set up at the beginning of the project, like the mailing list.

Regarding the percentage, I have no idea. I would say 70% when it
comes to dev 2 dev convos, but very few for dev 2 users convos. No
important decision is made on IRC, so the balance may change even for
dev 2 dev convo.

Hope it helps.

--
Regards,