directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] Applying large scale changes to 1.5.x branch (trunk)
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2007 18:18:29 GMT
Hi all,

Looks like we have a few people talking about the pro's and con's of how to
go about making large
scale changes to the server which could effect users and our documentation
effort around user guides
etc.  We have two options for this vote and some explanation is given about
each option along with it's
pros and cons so you can better evaluate an option.

[ ] Option #1: Continue making moderate to large scale changes in 1.5 branch
which effect standalone
    and embedding users.
[ ] Option #2: Create separate branch (2.5) for these kinds of changes while
trying to release a 2.0 sooner
    without a major impact to the user base.
[ ] Undecided.

Pro's and Con's of options listed below.  Perhaps others might add more but
we can just rename the
subject perhaps for that and use this thread for just counting votes.

Alex

Option #1 Pros
----------------------
Reduces work of maintaining several branches
Changes go in now rather than later which have to effect users anyway
Gets a 2.0 out quicker but not by much

Option #1 Cons
-----------------------
Delays 2.0 release marginally
Increases amount of change on documentation and the site
Forces users to change the server.xml which already happens when moving from
1.0->1.5
Contradicts our strategy for having stable and experimental branches

==========================

Option #2  Pros
-----------------------
Keeps users who are using 1.5 already happy since they have to change
relatively little to move to 2.0
Less changes to existing documentation although new documentation area will
be needed eventually
Completely free area to introduce dramatic changes (no worries about users)
Could bring features faster into server to avoid feature deadlock due to
architectural hurdles in 1.5

Option #2 Cons
Yet another branch to manage.
Distracts developers from 1.5 work