directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Kerberos] PKINIT support
Date Sun, 23 Sep 2007 04:11:53 GMT
IMO if you have some time you might want to start work on some developer
documentation
on DNS as well as a user's guide so we can attract more committers while
answering user
questions around DNS.

Just this week someone asked about this on the users list and all they heard
were crickets.
Emmanuel had to sit there and tell the guy that we cannot support him and
its an embarrassment
for us.  He had to apologize for your actions. That's not cool.

Although I want to see you make strides on adding new features to Kerberos I
think it's a bit irresponsible
for you to get back into new features without documenting others that you
added in the past.
You just can't do that while you leave the DNS situation in a poor state.
Do you understand
the point I'm trying to make here?  Do you see some merit in what I am
saying from a community
perspective? I'm trying to get you to understand where we're coming from and
not think this is
at all any means to lessen your value.  We really like the technical things
you do but a community
is not just about the code.

It's antithetical to OS culture to just drop code or features into some
project and leave.  You have
to take care of the users, the developers that come after you so the project
is alive rather than being
an inanimate piece of code.  By suggesting this new feature addition before
taking care of your
inherent responsibilities to the community clearly shows that you're not
thinking about these aspects.
This is why I'm going to just say no for now.

Secondly with respect to technical matters how does this impact what we have
in Triplesec
with HOTP?  Is this another SAM type for the kerberos server which uses the
class loading
scheme we already have in place for verifiers?

Alex