directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Specifying application level subtrees?
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2007 16:40:50 GMT
Hi,

It seems I was not very clear on what I was asking.  Let me give it another
shot.

We have subentries which contain subtreeSpecifications (SS).  The SS is a
very powerful mechanism
for selecting entries in the DIT.  It's essentially a means to group entries
together and much more powerful
than what is currently used in practice for dynamic groups: dynamic groups
uses an LDAP URL to
dynamically select the users for inclusion in the group.

I was wondering if a application specific form of this could be used for
dynamic groups instead of using a
simple LDAP URL.

The problem with an SS is that it's USAGE is a directoryOperation and it's
base is relative to the position
of the Administrative Point (AP).  What if we defined a means for
applications to group together entries based
on this concept.  Say we have the following objectClass for a
subtreeSelector:

objectclass ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.3.11 NAME 'subtreeSelector'
    DESC 'application level mechanism for specifying subtrees with specified
base'
    SUP top
    STRUCTURAL
    MAY ( selectorFilter $ minimum $ maximum $ chopBefore $ chopAfter )
    MUST ( cn & selectorBase )
 )

I'm sure you can figure out what the may and must attributes correspond to
along with their
characteristics: i.e. chopBefore is a distinguishedName syntax multivalued
attribute etc.

So why are we (LDAP community) not leveraging something this powerful
instead of using
a simple URL to define dynamic groups.

Alex