directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject [ApacheDS] extendedSubtreeSpecification
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2007 05:19:29 GMT
Ersin,

I got an interesting idea while thinking about subtrees and specifications.
As you know we complied
up until recently strictly with the X.500 administrative model with respect
to subtreeSpecifications.  The
changes we added to handle refinements which were filters broke away from
X.500 in many ways.

I was just thinking that it may be possible to use an
extendedSubtreeSpecification attribute which
extends a subtreeSpecification.  However the only problem with this is the
fact that the attributeType
subtyping another cannot switch the SYNTAX of the AT.  This is what I always
thought but perhaps
I am wrong (I hope) but if I am wrong I think we can leverage AT extension
while remaining compliant.

Basically we can allow our subentry objectClasses to include
extendedSubtreeSpecifications instead
of just the usual subtreeSpecification.

WDYT?

Alex