directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Changing Voting Term (Re: [VOTE] [Studio] Release of Apache Directory Studio 1.0.1)
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2007 23:02:58 GMT

> I would also like to raise a point : a GUI is not a server, and as we
> can deploy a bug fix via an update site, is it reasonnable to think
> that the 72 hours delay seems a little bit too long for bug fixes
> releases ?
>
> I do think that a 72 hours vote is mandatory for major or minor
> releases, but a shortest delay may be interesting dor bug fixes (24
> hours for instance).

I don't know about doing this.  The ASF has reasons for the 72 hr vote and
curbing it all the
time is not not something I would do.  I know I suggested it for a specific
vote as an exception
however I don't feel comfortable with it as the general case.

I don't think this is because of a client or server thing either. Legalities
are more important than
even if the release is totally broken.  I'd rather have a completely broken
server/studio release
than have a perfect one out without the proper legal files in place or with
a bundled LGPL'd jar.

Alex