directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Ersin Er" <ersin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Roadmap]Apache Directory Server 2.0 Roadmap proposal
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:51:57 GMT
A few comments below..

(I am a little bit busy so excuse me for short comments.)

> Hi guys,
>
> it's more than 5 months we released 1.5.0, and nearly one month since
> 1.5.1. Keep in mind that 1.5 is supposed to be an unstable release,
> which means that we may add features to it. It has some impact on the
> way we are currently working :
>
> 1- as the 1.5 is officially released, and publicly available as a top
> project on our web-site, users may be confused about its status
> 2- we encouraged users to switch to 1.5, because we must admit that
> it's way faster and stable than 1.0
> 3- we are reluctant to add new features because it can negatively
> impact our users because of point (1) and (2)
> 4- we currently have no idea about which feature has to be included
> into the trunk, because we don't have any roadmap for a 2.0
> 5- and we also have a need of huge modifications which will differ a
> 2.0 to get out soon, if we introduce them into the trunk.
>
> For all these reasons, we do think that at this point, a clear (?)
> roadmap for 2.0 must be agreed on. [we = many people expressed this
> opinion]. The idea is to deliver a 2.0 by the end of this year. This
> is not as simple as it seems :
> - we have around 100 open issues
> - we have absolutly no idea about the number of users we have which
> may be impacted if we do change important things like configuration,
> schema handming and database format
> - we must go through some RC before releasing 2.0, and it will take a
> couple of months
> - we have to guarantee that we get the VSLDAP certification for 2.0,
> and if possible, with STANDARD level
> - and documentation must be updated.
>
> Better starting now with this roadmap if we don't want the release to
> be delivered by Q4 2008 ;)
>
> So here is a fisrt draft :

> 2.0 roadmap proposal

> 1) Candidates by December 1st, release final by january 15th
>

> 2) tasks and durations
>
> Estimated Durations :
> =============
> * add index rebuilding command to 1.5 {1d}
> * add change admin password command & not cleartext in server.xml file
> {5d}
> * add start tls code  {10d}
> * make mitosis work {20d}
> * ad (ldap) delegated authentication {10d}
> * make sure userPassword cannot be searched {2d}

just a matter of fixing a serious bug with ACIs and filter handling
mechanism.

* ???password policy??? {5d}

not so easy to implement. and also we want to wait for Kurt's RFC draft for
this.

* finish stored procedure semantics {20d}
> * finish trigger support {20d}

these both need to be handled with the standardization process. they should
be included if and only if they are at least supported by a draft.

* add safeguards to prevent size based DoS attacks {5d}
> * add Jetty container {5d}
> * ???Controls???
>   (schema update control) {20d}
> * installers for Solaris and Debian {10d}

* support for all schema entities {20d}
>    - nameForms
>    - ditContentRules
>    - ditStructureRules

not so critical.

* make critical schema flag (READ-ONLY) {3d}
> * authz manager schema {15d}

triplesec?

* only add m-usage-count attribute to meta schema for use later (allow
> updates to this by the server with USAGE) {3d}
> * Add a changeLog interceptor {10d}

if it's simply a log interceptor it does not have to be part of the release.
it can be released later and can be integrated with the server with for
another release.

Unknown Durations :

--
Ersin Er