directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Kerberos] PKINIT support
Date Sat, 29 Sep 2007 00:00:39 GMT
I've had some discussions with Alex and Emmanuel and it's become
clear to me that I let a combination of my own frustrations and lack
of knowledge of the history here run away and lead me to making some
unfortunate statements.

IIUC the underlying situation here is that most of the apacheds
community has an informal criterion for code being in trunk and
released -- that more that one person can support the code.  This
could be from several people working on it, general familiarity with
it, or through javadoc, documentation, and examples.  Through some
historical accidents there is some code in the server that doesn't
really meet this criterion very well and there's some confusion about
what to do about it and how to keep the problem from getting worse.

I believe one step that has been taken is to suggest that new code
that may not immediately be OK be developed in a sandbox or branch
until enough people feel it can be well supported at which time it
can be moved into trunk.  I think this is a great idea because it
provides a simple process solution to what was starting to appear to
be a personal clash.  ("all defects are process defects")  I think it
might be a good idea to have a "production ready sandbox" where
working code that needs documentation or review can sit and gain
documentation and comments until enough people agree that its
supportable.  It might be advisable to move some code out of the
server to here.

I don't think there's been an overwhelming amount of discussion about
this process on the dev list so I'm hoping that if I'm right about
this process we'll hear more about it and that it will be documented
somewhere on the project web site.  And if I jumped to yet more
unjustified conclusions I look forward to hearing about them as well :-)

thanks
david jencks