directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Marc Boorshtein" <mboorsht...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Specifying application level subtrees?
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2007 03:33:58 GMT
> Any reason why LDAP never defined application level subtree specification
> mechanisms?  Right now the subentry is used
> with the a operational usage for the main subtreeSpecification attribute.
> Also the base is AP position relative.  Why not
> have an application space specification and use that for dynamic grouping?

When it comes to a 'local' directory how is this different from having
application specific attributes and ACLs that control who can see
what?

Oracle Virtual Directory has similar feature, but as a virtual
directory it limits what 'adapters' can be accessed by a client
connection.  Since virtual directories often create application
specific 'views' of data this feature makes it easier to use a single
virtual directory for multiple applications.  Maybe I don't understand
your use case?

Marc