directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Comments on Stored Procedure Implementation (was Re: [Roadmap]Apache Directory Server 2.0 Roadmap proposal)
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2007 21:42:56 GMT

On Sep 28, 2007, at 12:19 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> On 9/28/07, Stefan Zoerner <stefan@labeo.de > wrote:
> Alex Karasulu wrote:
> >     * Support for Scripting languages for Stored Procedures (e.g.
> Groovy)
> >

> > This also would be really cool to have.  We just need more
> participation
> > on getting stored procedures
> > implemented properly.  It would be great if you could lend a hand
> if it
> > interests you of course.
>
> It seems that it is not much code we talk about. I am interested.
>
> This is great Stefan.
>
> <note>
> Stefan you and others insterested in this stuff may not be
> interested in these details below
> or how they will be managed by the stored procedure subsystem in
> the server.  Wanting to
> do it with groovy should not have to force you to have to deal with
> these details.  So please
> feel free to skip the material below.  However at a minimum
> understanding these problems
> and their impact on you may help you a bit.
> </note>
>
> Incidentally I want to just list some of the issues we presently
> have on the table regarding our
> stored procedure implementation:
>
> 1). Security: Rights and Identity (owner verses invoker)
>
> Stored procedures can be invoked by anyone if access to the SP is
> allowed.  The visibility of SP entries to
> invoker principals can be controlled with ACI.  However if the
> invoker is different from the owner then with
> who's identity and authorization permissions do we execute the
> procedure? This is a big question we've been
> discussing for some time.  We can continue to discuss this on this
> thread if people like but IMO the SP should
> execute with the authorization permissions of the owner with the
> identity of the invoker for auditing purposes.
>
> How to do this is entirely another question that our implementation
> must answer.
>
> 2). Security: Sandboxing SP Code
>
> SP code is code which needs to be sandboxed so code with lesser
> rights does not have the ability to
> execute internal code with administrator like rights.  Today SPs in
> the server can do whatever they
> want no matter who invokes them.  This is why they are turned off
> by default with the server as an
> insecure experimental feature.  To take this to the next level we
> need to sandbox SP code and allow
> access to internal methods based on the rights and identity of the
> user.  This is a really difficult problem
> to solve elegantly in ApacheDS as it stands today but it is a must.

I'm not sure exactly how 1 and 2 differ except in emphasis.  One
possibility is to use something like JACC.... define java permissions
for the actions and check them against a policy provider for an
application context, using the users identity along with the info in
the permission (such as sp name etc).  This might get circular seeing
as how I'm thinking of implementing jacc through ldap.... but it
still might be a useful approach.

david jencks