directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Big Bang Cleanup
Date Sat, 29 Sep 2007 15:41:08 GMT

On Sep 29, 2007, at 3:47 AM, Stefan Zoerner wrote:

> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> Also keep in mind that we have a roadmap, so try to stick to it : a
>> modification can be tagged as a JIRA fix (we just have to inject some
>> new JIRA, probably prefixing them with a tag like [bigbang]), making
>> it easier to see the consequences of a modification.
>
> How about adding a page for the roadmap in Confluence DIRxPMGT
> space? Or is there already one in place?
>
>> The documentation is absolutely necessary, as some of us have a deep
>> knowledge about the server internals, but this is not a general case.
>> If we introduce deep modifications without documentation, then
>> - people who had some knowledge about the server will lose it
>> - and you won't be able to share your vision, leading to some
>> potential bad choices.
>
> I will create a version of the Basic User Guide for the new XBean
> configuration style, if the Big Bang stabilized. This is perhaps
> more important than the 1.5.1 update, because it will lead to
> better documentation for 2.0 if released.

Excellent!  I may have mentioned before that there is some generated
documentation for xbean-spring, see apacheds/apacheds-xbean-spring/
target/xbean/apacheds-xbean-spring.xsd.html and *.wiki.  The html
looks a bit basic in my browser, and I'm not sure if the .wiki is
confluence format.  Could you take a look and see if you think this
could be made appropriate to include in the documentation?  For
myself I find it much easier to write and fix little bits of javadoc
than to try to  write a whole page of description at once so I think
I'd have an easier time contributing to generated documentation like
this than a whole user manual.  It also gets kept up to date with the
code changes pretty easily :-)

thanks!
david jencks